inharmonicity formulas

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 21:58:02 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Ron Nossaman <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2000 5:37 PM
Subject: inharmonicity formulas

> Hi gang,
> I've finally got you some inharmonicity formulas rounded up and looked
> over. Here's what I've got so far.
>

> Mcferrin
>
> Core  =(5.3*10^12)*(Dc*0.001)^2/(Freq^2*Lin^4)

This is only the first part (B) of the overall formula  I = B*n^2
 Instead of "core = "  McFerrin wrote  B= 5.3*10^12*d^2 / f^2*L^4
d and L are in inches.

Concerning n^ 2   he wrote, "Calculate B and multiply by the square of the
number of the harmonic whose inharmonicity is desired."

It is not absolutly clear what he meant by "number of the harmonic".   Some
say there is the fundamental, and then the first harmonic.  Others say the
harmonic (or partial when speaking of piano wire) is equal to the number of
vibrating segments.   Thus the fundamental would equal one, and the 2nd
harmonic is frequency of one of the segments of wire vibrating in two
segments.  These segment frequencies are a little more than whole number
multiples of the fundamental which is of course where inharmonicity comes
from.

Now if the fundamental is considered as partial "one" or "n" and  if  n^2,
then  I = B*1.
the fundamental should have an inharmonicity of 0 (zero) so B should equal
0.
But this is not the case.  If the fundamental is not considered a partial,
then the first partial would be the frequency of one of the segments of the
wire in the mode of vibration of 2.   The formulas that McFerrin drew from,
express  n as the "mode of vibration".  This though suggests that the mode
of vibration for the fundamental is "one" and the mode of vibration for the