Upper Treble dilemma

Brian Holden bholden@wave.co.nz
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 16:26:34 +1300

Graeme,

While I don't know the answer to this one, it does seem that if the tech =
who did the restringing did such a bad job (including the action work), =
then there's a good chance that he simply neglected to leave out the =
bearing cloth, rather than by intention.  To restring the last 18 notes =
with the same gauge wire has got to be the ultimate demonstration in =
laziness.  I have always thought that there would be very little leeway =
between choice of gauges in the extremes of any piano, to get the best =
tone and tuning accuracy.  There will be many others out there, I'm =
sure, who will come up with the right answer.

Cheers

Brian Holden

-----Original Message-----
From: Graeme Harvey <gharvey@netsource.co.nz>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Saturday, 4 March 2000 1:14
Subject: Upper Treble dilemma

    Hi List,
   =20
    I'm working on a 7' Schiedmayer grand from around 1900's that has =
seen quite a bit of work previously. Nothing new in that, however I have =
some queries that I'm sure many of you may be able to address.
   =20
    The upper treble section has recently been restrung, (a poor job too =
I might add, and the customer thinks so too) but what I noticed first =
off is that the previous tech left out the bearing cloth between the =
agraffes and pins. (Possibly intentionally)
    There is a metal curved bearing insert where the remainder of the =
piano has bearing cloth. After de-stringing I noticed that the other =
bearing inserts were timber with cloth covering.=20
    My question is; should the upper treble metal insert have a cloth =
covering or is there a good reason for it being metal and possibly not =
being covered?=20
    =20
    The restring job in this section was done with one gauge throughout =
(note 70 to note 88 with .825mm or .032") giving the treble a strange =
sound as well.=20
    After sanding off the terrible paint job (gold house paint applied =
with yard broom) I found the original (?) plate gauge markings showing 4 =
gauge changes in this section which seems more normal to me.=20
    Do most of you routinely check the scaling in the treble? If so do =
you often find improvements, as there is little room  to move in this =
area, perhaps only a gauge or so and stepping at a slightly different =
point?
   =20
    BTW I think the same tech did the action work, the DW was too heavy =
to be read by my measure weights ie 70 plus grams.
    New hammers down to note 13, some new knuckles here and there etc =
etc. Plays like a truck...
   =20
    Many thanks,
    Regards,