Stable Floor tunings?

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 04:24:16 EST

Hi, Terry:

I "cut my teeth" doing floor work for a Baldwin dealer from 1980 to 1985.
Incredibly tight pins in some of the grands, which meant eventually I could
just about tune anything.  I learned to go through a piano twice as quickly
as possible, with moderate hard blows the last time through but not wasting
time on perfection, focusing on unisons.  Two passes will usually get the
best results, following standard pitch raise/lowering formula.  You should
push yourself to get your time down to 30-40 minutes total for both passes.
I always strip muted the entire piano - saves at least 10 minutes.

And Richard is right about humidity.  Several articles can be found in the
Journal about this, and the pianotech archives are full of this subject.  In
southern California we experience wide extremes of humidity and not as great
a variance in temperature as the rest of the country.  You can tune a piano
after a week of rain, but a day or two after a dry high pressure system has
begun, and a day or two later it will drop 10-20 cents.   Just because of the
abrupt drop in RH.   Mild fluctuations  in RH will also move the tenor up and
down and make you look bad.

Don't worry much about the heater being turned down at night in LA;  the big
problem is the big change in air moisture content, and that is exacerbated by
the fact that most of the pianos you are tuning are new, so the SB's are at
their most dimensionally unstable.  But if you are willing to learn, you will
quickly develop tuning skills and speed.  Just listen to your body at the
first sign of tendonitis etc., and back off and rest for a while when you
need to.  You can build tuning endurance and stamina - It sounds like you
already are!

My feeling about pounding (relating to Richard's response) is that for floor
work a single, moderately hard blow is all you should give after a firm
movement/set of the tuning pin.  However, that is no insurance of a
rock-solid tuning, just a servicable floor tuning.  What is the point of
repeated pounding when the piano is so unstable anyway?  However, I have
always used repeated blows in C&A work, and played the piano hard afterwards
if there was time, fixing errant unisons as they popped up.  I think the best
training for C&A is the dealer work, where you develop speed and confidence.

Bill Shull

<< Once again, the sun streaming in, sometimes directly on sound boards, and
no
 heat at night can't help the painos stay in tune. But I do my best given all
 the conditions, and they seem to sound nearly as good from day to day, when
 i check them randomly. Every so often I'll find that a piano I tuned 2-3
 weeks earlier has dropped a tad in the high treble, or a unison or 2 has
 slipped, in which case I'll do a quick touch-up.

 Terry >>