EZ quiz - answer

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Sun, 05 Mar 2000 11:51:07 -0800

Excellent quiz, Conrad.

I thought I'd just add a little left-pedal-noise fix that had me stumped
for a long time. It wasn't a beautifully rebuilt S&S D, though. It was a
dumb Aeolian Knabe, about 6', belonging to a teacher.

Just a little groaning eek-eek noise, somewhat intermittent, when using the
shift pedal. I tried lube and my usual quieting fixes on three separate
occasions, (rounded up the usual suspects ...), and the thing was quiet as
a tomb, but then would start the little eek-eek again.

I finally figured out that the keyblocks weren't very well fitted. In fact,
someone had added an extra screw, downward into the keybed, behind the
fallboard, to each of them, no doubt trying to get them stable. Once I
removed them and inspected, I saw that on the underside of the keyblocks,
where they contacted the keybed, there were a couple of shiny places. I
rubbed the places with VJ lube and a lasting quiet was restored.

Never give a noise an even break!

Susan Kline