DC Query

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sun, 05 Mar 2000 22:13:08 +0100

Hi list

I just installed a DampChaser system on two of our grands at the
conservatory here in Bergen. I have placed a hygrometer under each  and
kept an eye on how the system is doing and found that the humidity
varies within about a 15% range daily, pretty uniformly over the whole
soundboard. I dont know how long the humidity stays at any particular
level tho as the hygrometers just show the present, high, and low levels
each time I check them.

The guy who runs the import of these in Norway suggests that I cover the
bottom of the grand with a thin plastic film, enclosing thus the whole
system and underside of the grands.

It is this I am wondering about. Do any of you have experience with this
kinda thing ?  How does it affect the sound of the pianos ?? Are there
better solutions ? Couldnt this cause damageing condensation ???

The two rooms are quite different in size, the smaller being just big
enough to house a 215 cm grand and the other being large enough for 5 or
6 such grands. Both are on the buildings ventilation system which pumps
lots of dry air into each room constantly. And both systems register
about the same amount of variance. Each system is installed just a bit
back of center of panel due to beam considerations, and are as high up
under the panel as I could get them. The hydrostats are located just
forward (keyside) and one beam width apart from the humidifier, and also
just about as high up as I could get them. Humidity levels read from low
30's to around 45-46 % in each case.

Any suggestions will be gratefully read.. grin.

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.