Pin Torque survey - results are in!

BSimon999@AOL.COM BSimon999@AOL.COM
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 00:25:11 EST

I wish to thank the two rebuilders who answered the survey, Ed Foote and Rod
Pierce, for their recommendations on initial torque when rebuilding. The
information they gave is very valuable, and important. What they said is
worth repeating.

Rod Pierce ---" I strive for 130 to 160  inch pounds of torque in a new block
of any type" ... same torque in an old block when repinning

Ed Foote --- "I really like to tune around the 100 in/lb mark. ... I don't
expect a Falcon-wood block to change much after the first day or two.  If it
starts at 130 in/lbs,  it may lose five or so, but not much change after
that.  A high grade, five ply maple block will often begin around 140 in/lbs
but will, in the first several months, drop anywhere from 10 to 20 in/lbs.
   Repinning an old block?  usually, an old block seems to need only 10
in/lbs higher to settle there"

I am, however,  quite astonished that the loquacious luminaries of this list
were so silent on this question. Perhaps I missed some posts?  When a pedal
squeak can draw 25 posts, I cannot fathom the indifference shown to such a
vital aspect of piano rebuilding.

Bill Simon
Phoenix