filing hammers

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 20:12:08 EST

In a message dated 3/8/00 6:36:56 PM !!!First Boot!!!, lesbart1@juno.com
writes:

<< It strikes me........  than when one files the grooves out, one
 gets to less compacted felt, and a more mellow tone, softer, perhaps
 might be expected, though what I've heard is that the sound should get
 louder.

 I'll be appreciative of enlightenment.
 thanks
 les bartlett >>

My thoughts.

The grooves in the hammer is where the felt is most compacted. Thus  creating
a harsher tone. (Not necessarily a louder tone.) When the hammer is filed,
more compacted felt is exposed, (the felt closer to the core is harder). But,
in the process of filing, the felt is softened up a bit, thus creating a
softer tone.

Wim