surcharge/precursor of INFLATION

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 20:35:29 EST

jformsma@dixie-net.com writes:

<< I thought inflation was the result of excess paper money which devalues the
 currency unit.  >>

Inflation is where people have to more for what they used to pay, for what
ever the reason. If gasoline costs more, then the cost of bring goods and
services to the consumer will increase. Because everyone has to pay more for
products and services, employees will ask for more money to pay for them.
This will also add to    the costs of goods and services. And the cycle
continues.

One of the reasons we have had such a long and prosperous low inflation
period, is because no one was asking for more money, because all goods and
services were kept relatively in check. But now that the OPEC nations have
increased the cost of oil, it will have a ripple effect.

I just heard Clinton has asked the OPEC nations to reduce the oil prices, and
they have consented. But by the time the actual costs will come to the gas
stations, it will be late summer. By that time, however, the damage might
have been done, (inflation), Unless, the governments steps in and loosens the
money supply.

Wim