filing hammers

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Wed, 08 Mar 2000 20:59:09 -0500

le 00/03/08 20:12, Wimblees@AOL.COM à Wimblees@AOL.COM a écrit :

> In a message dated 3/8/00 6:36:56 PM !!!First Boot!!!, lesbart1@juno.com
> writes:
>
> << It strikes me........  than when one files the grooves out, one
> gets to less compacted felt, and a more mellow tone, softer, perhaps
> might be expected, though what I've heard is that the sound should get
> louder.
I don't think its a question of hammer hardness. I thinks it's more the
striking surface that is changed when we file hammers. If you look at the
strings on these old upright, you will notice the strings usually are
cleaner where the hammer strikes. Having a larger surface hitting the
strings will "unfocus" the sound producing a certain harshness but the
caracter of the sound will be a lot different. Usually you will have a lot
of attack but the decay will be very fast and the difference of harmonic
content between the attack and decay will differ a lot too.

My two bits.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC