Tight upright DC installations

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 09:42:23 -0500

Dear List:
I am interested in the list's wisdom regarding DC installations in
Yamaha U1s and Steinway uprights.
Yamaha U1: the kick board is rather tight, with insufficient space at
the top for the fill tube. What do you do? File away some material
with a rasp file or a drum sander? Recommendations from those who do
a lot of these would be appreciated.
Steinway uprights: The system for the tight kick board cavity (large
pedal levers etc.) calls for a hole being drilled through the
soundboard for the electric plug wires (and maybe fill tubes?). It's
my customers with nearly new, highly unstable St. uprights who need
them, but they're also the ones who would freak out if I took a drill
to their soundboard (nightmare visions of potential lawsuits), have
"Steinway friends" who "inform" them that DamppChasers will ruin
their precious status symbols, etc. What do you do? I suggested
drilling through the trap work board at a DC class at a PTG seminar,
and the rep indicated "yeah that could work too".

TIA,
Patrick Draine