Quiz Time

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 09 Mar 2000 22:09:55 +0100

List..

Bumped into something "new" today.. so I thought I would put it forward
in the form of a quiz.

Piano... August Førster... about 20 years old.

Symptom..... Blubering on soft play reported by the owner. In addition
my own feeling of a kind of "heavyish" feel to the action.

Conditions: Letoff was at 1.5 mm - 2.5 mm, checking was well within
acceptable parameters, key dip was 10 mm and this was way more then
enough for jack clearence under the knuckel. No lost motion yet jacks
easily slipped under the knuckle on release.  Dampers... newly regulated
and in fine shape. Jack stop rail adjusted for plenty of clearence. Keys
level and at factory specified height.

In spite of this seemingly fine situation there were about 30 keys that
were blubering on soft play.  Took me a few minutes dinking around to
figure it out, and I am sure I have seen this exact problem before
without solving it.. but this time I got it right and I was really a bit
suprised at the dramatic results. Blubering completely dissapeared and
the "heavyish" feel to the action was totally relieved.

Good hunting... Answer tommorrow. grin

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.