Response to David I., electric cars, way off topic...

Fri, 10 Mar 2000 10:40:50 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Jorgensen <Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: March 10, 2000 2:58 AM
Subject: Re: Response to David I., electric cars, way off topic...

> List,
>    This morning, as often, I had to stop and sit at a light for not a
single
> car.  When it turned green, a whole group of cars on the other street had
> stop, --for just me!   Why aren't there sensors to detect approaching
vehicles
> and adjust lights?  One cheap computer has enough power to calculate the
> traffic patterns and probabilities of which ways cars might go for a whole
city
> and adjust tall he lights.  Congress  legislates the gas mileage vehicles
must
> get, but fails to force municipalities to buy such systems.  This would
really
> save big on fuel, brake jobs, car wear and tear, and help the economy by
> increasing human productivity.
> -mike

Michael, et al,

There are sensor/computer controlled signal lights just as you describe.
They are quite expensive, however.

Your solution, of course, is to begin attending your city council meetings
and raising these questions.  Without that, no amount of complaining to the
pianotech list will make any difference whatsoever.

The same, incidentally, applies to the wholesale removal of music programs
from our schools.  Unless we personally are prepared to invest the time in
the democracy we claim to desire, we have no right to complain when those
who do get their way.

Democracy is not voting every couple of years.  Nor is it publicly
complaining about it.  It is getting involved continuously in those issues
that are important to us.

You want smart signal lights?  Go to the meetings and fuss about them until
you get them.  You will get them if you keep at it long enough and work hard
enough to garner the support you need.  You want good music back in your
local schools?  Ditto.

Regards,

Del