Too many pianos

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 20:18:34 -0500

At 06:35 PM 03/10/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>>Say yes! Offer the following prices for any paino you may want to
>>purchase...
>>Larry
>
>I don't know about this philosophy of yours, Larry.
>I certainly know it wouldn't work for me, 'cause I'd get a lot of takers,
>especially the just haul off type without fail  :-)
>
>*No* is the only sure fire method to achieve his goal.
>
>Keith McGavern

As long as it is not in a cellar and has to come out the bulkhead, I will
generally have a look at it.

Asking questions about name, last tuned, etc will help to qualify my
need for urgency to look at it. Usually at my convenience. I usually say
that I'm looking at it for a few customers whom I have in mind (I do have a
list).
So if it is not something worthwhile I can always decline politely by saying
that
I do not have anyone interested in a piano like (needing this much work) at
this at this time.

Know your market.

I generally stay away from uprights because they need so much work
and can bring little money for the run of the mill variety.

But if you want to be known for pianos you have to make an effort to choose.

Sometimes what happens is that I give them a price. A price to haul it off.
One time it cost them $125 to get the piano out and they though they were
going
get money for it or at worse, give it away. Never did they think they would
have to
actually PAY to get it out. This has happened a few times.  Another time, the
real estate agent had to get it out that day for passing the papers. The
upright in
the cellar had to be broken down to the back to get out. Slid around the
house,
and
up a snow covered incline, reassembled back in the shop. Those were the
days of

great ambition. $250 removal fee.   Sold it for $600.  what an adventure.

You see the trouble will start when you have an easy means to move them
and someone dumb enough to help you.

>From there it's better than . . . well it sure beats getting a job  :-)

Have Fun,

Jon Page,   piano technician