Too many pianos

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 21:17:46 -0200

Hi, Ra Byn et al,

Hard thing to stay away from when you're in the field - I like to tally
personal instruments separate from business instruments, of the former I
have three (as for the latter we're working on 35+ in one go, to add to
the 160+ in store).

Sound advice, knowing your market, though I'll take garbage just for
ivory and parts (charging moves to customers, and later reducing the
things to component parts). I think each tech develops their own taste
as far as uprights go (not everyone sees Bush & Lanes, after all).

Many of our pianos came to me as sort of legacy albatrosses, through at
least three different storages; I can't say I resent this - each upright
I've junked, from a Cottage Gem to a Chickering, has yielded
irreplaceable resources. Depending on what work you intend to do, your
own assessment of instruments will vary (few will resaw soundboards for
viol or virginal soundboards...), but at the very least screws will be
important (new action screw are disgusting).

More tomorrow,

Clark