Loose pins

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 14:22:55 -0600

Fritz,

There is a lot of information about this in the archives.

Don't know about the toothpick method.

Sometimes you can drive the pin a little bit further into the block.

CA (cyanocrylate) glue (super glue) will sometimes work. If in a vertical
piano, remove string from pin, then remove pin. Take thick CA glue and put
in into the hole, swabbing it with a hammer shank. Drive the pin back in,
put the string back on, and it will usually be tuneable in a few minutes. In
a grand, drizzling thin CA glue into the block may work. Be sure to protect
the action underneath with a newspaper just in case the glue drips thru. If
you are not familiar with this, you may want to find a more experienced tech
to help you.

Repin with the next size or larger pin.

There are a variety of repair thingees in the supply catalogs. In
particular, those metal sleeves that go into the pinblock. I have never used
those, but have seen them in a few pianos, along with sandpaper inserts.

This may give you a few hints, but you ought to search the archives at
http://www.ptg.org.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS