Wee Aeolian Spinet Player

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 16:10:30 -0800

Terry Beckingham wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
> I just returned from tuning the smallest piano that I have ever seen. It was
> an Aeolian Spinet "PIANOLA" with only 63 keys, and a "Ukelano" player
> mechanism.

<snip>

> Has anyone else ever come across one of these, and if so how did you go
> about tuning it? I'd be interested to know as I am supposed to go back in 3
> months to do it all over again. The pitch as anywhere from 50 to 100 cents
> flat. The piano is badly out of regulation, but I can't do anything about
> that without removing the player mechanism.

The dealer here that I do PianoDisc installations for got one of these in on
trade recently.  A pretty sorry excuse for a piano.  I doubt very many of these
were made.  Fortunately I wasn't asked to do any work on it but it needed some
considerable attention.  It was pretty darn small but I have seen a few smaller
ones, (without players).  Whew!!!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV