jig for keytops

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 21:59:52 -0800

I have this planer also, and have used it with my own version of a key
jig.  The photo shows a very large radial press, which is much bigger
than our table top drill press.  I used a vise from Sears which has a
special handle to tighten the jaws.  I used this to hold the key while
planing the top.  I mounted a piece of flat ply on the press table, and
slide the key under the planer in the vise.
    My problem has been that the keys often have some twist in them, so
the bottom of the key isn't flat, and the top gets planed at an angle,
and the keyfronts lay at an angle.  YIKES!.  What I would like to see is
some way of using the original keytop to set the planing surface on the
machine.  What I would envision is sort of like using a jointer (key
upside down).  The original plane of the keytop is the best reference to
use, since it doesn't rely on the other surfaces of the key.  Any ideas?

    Paul McCloud