outrageous charges--estimates

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 12:20:37 EST

>is that not fraud, and have some legal ramifications?
>$440 for 16 tuning pins for parts only???
>Is there no accountability in this business.

You can truthfully tell a customer that you consider these charges totally
outrageous,  I think you will find widespread, if not unanimous agreement
among your peers.  However, I caution you to avoid getting into a mudfight
with this guy.
    You can't actually win a case against him unless you can prove that you
were damaged.  This means that  until some CUSTOMER files a suit you needn't
be bothered,  if there are customers out there willing to pay $200 per hour
for a tuning, that should give you plenty of headroom to raise your own
prices.  And since you will be delivering the superior product, you will
continue to gain, as he continues to lose customers.
    A bad technician is no more than a business opportuninty for a good one,
but it is a shame that a lot of nice instruments (and their owners) get
damaged in the interim.
REgards,
Ed Foote