fun at the piano store!

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 14:18:31 EST

Hi, Terry:

A couple of ideas:  You might log humidity from day to day in the store.  Use
the Radio Shack humidity gauge (temperature too, especially if the piano is
sitting in the sun), or one you can buy from Schaff.  Put this info on your
billings to the dealer.   Of course the piano is new anyway, and will be
going out bigtime because of this - even a new Yamaha.  Also, if the C5 had
gotten some heavy playing you expect unisons to go, also.  Very fast when
new, no matter how hard you work on setting pins/strings.  You should see the
new lease pianos at the university!  Same thing.

Everyone has their own stories about Yamaha pianos and pitch instability - A
teacher's two C3's, same age, side by side, one rock stable, the other
constantly moving, even 10 years later.  Why?  I believe the soundboard
movement is a factor (rising and falling with humidity swings, as on any
piano but more so with a new piano).  The pinblock fit at the flange has been
labeled the culprit, and many technicians have driven hardwood shims between
the flange and the block, with reported success (never helped me any).  I
understood that Yamaha was more concerned with the block/webbing fit then the
block flange fit, so you might make sure that the pinblock screws are not too
loose, also.  I bet Roger will have some good things to say about this.

Missed you at the Pomona Valley PTG meeting last Monday!  Hope you might make
it sometime - we would love to hear your store tuning stories, problems and
solutions!

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University, Riverside City College

In a message dated 3/17/00 9:55:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,