Son of the Return of Scale =

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 22:05:13 -0200

Ron,

I remember the previous post, but is it the adjusted lengths by section
that's troubling you? I mean, shouldn't the lengths between sections be
adjusted accordingly and if so, why not by guage as well.

For you and me, at least, the influence of soundboards to inharmonicity
seems to remain an undefined variable, while Del Fandrich's posts offer
only hints at solutions. Our own in-house calculations of Mehlin and
Wolfendon scales, which do adjust for guage changes, seem quite
satisfactory according to the out-dated formulas at hand. Still, as far
as I know, the only true equal tension scale is Robert Wornum's, per his
patent which involves a single guage for all of the un-wound strings,
determined by doubling lengths per octave.

Wornum's quadrupled inharmonicity per octave may be foiled by his
soundboards 'loose' at one end, attached only to a slight beech liner. I
wish there was a grand in this country from which to take measurements -
I have no idea how his bass looks, and can only assume that its tension
was measured by placing weights on the strings in the manner suggested
to violinists. Perhaps someone on the list services one of his Equal
Tension uprights and could assist with core, winding and end-length
measurements.

Anyhow, hearkening back to Bill Bremmer's "reverse well-tempered"
readings from a Yamaha electronic piano, it occurred to me today that
samples are spread across sections, so that inharmonicity remains
constant for a number of notes, then jumps to the next sample group. Not
so curious considering how cheaply these things are made - I'd agree
with him, how frequently I encounter RWT, guaged in part by roughness
rather than beats.

Has anyone made readings for inharmonicity on soft wire? I'm prepared to
do this, but I'd appreciate data if anyone already has done so: I'm
interested both in installed wire and wire independent of soundboards.

I'm looking forward to taking Del's course in scaling small pianos at
the national in Arlington, the first I'll have attendended. It'll also
be my first study into the full workings of 12-tone pianos(!).

Regards,

Clark