shimming pinblock to flange

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 20:23:15 EST

In a message dated 3/18/00 9:28:09 PM !!!First Boot!!!, pneely@thegrid.net
writes:

<< List       What do you use to shim with , is their a special method? I have
 a Kincaid console and a wurlitzeer baby grand that you can put a business
 card between the plate flange and the pinblock.  Pat Neely

On the Kincaid, there is no flange between the pin block and the plate, at
least not one that you can see. What you are probably referring to is that
the plate is separating from the pin block on top of the piano. In that case,
take out the plate screws, drill all the way through to the pin block and
back board, and put in stove bolts. If the gap is small enough for only a
business card, then all you need to do is put in the bolts to keep the gap
from getting worse. If gap is bigger than that, you will need to release the
tension of all the strings, pull the gap with C-clamps before  tightening the
bolts. You then have to retune the piano. On a Kincaid, however, I don't know
it is worth it.

For the Wurlitzer grand, you have to reduce the tension before driving maple
shims up between the flange and the plate.

Wim