fun at the piano store!

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 01:07:56 EST

<<check the block to flange fit. Wedges may need to be inserted to
fill a gap.>>

So many people have made this, or similar, comments in this thread that I
have found it needful to comment/ask a question(s) in spite of having
promised myself in the past that I would not do so......

Does anyone have any "objective" evidence that there is significant (meaning
tuning altering) pinblock movement after intial tensioning of the
strings....since the talk is of "wedging" between plate flange and pinblock
it is movement in this direction that I am adressing....any 'objective'
evidence anyone??
 What is the purpose of "wedging" a pinblock that is itself floating?, i.e.
not mortised, glued, doweled...............
 What is the purpose of "wedging" a pinblock that is mortised to the
stretcher, doweled to the sides and the top back plate flange is screwed to
the stretcher ??
If there were pin block movement in this case would there not be separation
of the mortise joint at stretcher-pinblock joint?
 Where did this measurement of a "business card" come from? Who set this
standard? if less than a "business card" gap is there is that acceptable?  If
so is a gap of half a business card going to cause problems with tuning
stability? If not, why not?........... there still is not a solid flange fit
is there?

 Again is there any 'objective' evidence in this regard?
Jim Bryant (FL)