fun at the piano store!

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:32:34 EST

 <<check the block to flange fit. Wedges may need to be inserted to
 fill a gap.>> (Jim quoth)

 <So many people have made this, or similar, comments in this thread that I
 have found it needful to comment/ask a question(s) in spite of having
 promised myself in the past that I would not do so......>

But here you go, Jim....It is late, you can be excused for clicking on "send."

Me too, hopefully.  As I noted, I have never had any luck with wedges, and I
believe Yamaha says that this fit is not important anyway.  But I remember
back 20, 25 years ago this was a hot thing, and the folks from the Yamaha
service department were even distributing wooden wedges.  However, later they
began downplaying this.  The Steinway or Mason and Hamlin pinblock to flange
fit needs to be pretty good (whatever your standard is for this, it needs to
have frequent, solid flange contact).  The Yamaha uses plate bushings, and is
fitted to the webbing.  The pinblock is being pulled AWAY from the plate
flange, for the most part, via tunig pins pivoting at the plate bushings.  So
I think, at 12:30 PST Saturday night.

Bill Shull

< Does anyone have any "objective" evidence that there is significant
(meaning
 tuning altering) pinblock movement after intial tensioning of the
 strings....since the talk is of "wedging" between plate flange and pinblock
 it is movement in this direction that I am adressing....any 'objective'
 evidence anyone??
  What is the purpose of "wedging" a pinblock that is itself floating?, i.e.
 not mortised, glued, doweled...............
  What is the purpose of "wedging" a pinblock that is mortised to the
 stretcher, doweled to the sides and the top back plate flange is screwed to
 the stretcher ??
 If there were pin block movement in this case would there not be separation
 of the mortise joint at stretcher-pinblock joint?
  Where did this measurement of a "business card" come from? Who set this
 standard? if less than a "business card" gap is there is that acceptable?
If
 so is a gap of half a business card going to cause problems with tuning
 stability? If not, why not?........... there still is not a solid flange fit
 is there?>

  <Again is there any 'objective' evidence in this regard?
 Jim Bryant (FL)>