Web Domain Names

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 18:15:44 -0800

I have been toying with the idea of a Web Site.  I have MicroSoft Office
2000 and it apparently has some tools for making said Web Site.  Can anyone
give me a little advice on how to go about it?

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Jim Kinnear
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2000 11:00 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Web Domain Names

Speaking as one who jumped on the bandwagon a few years ago, I have to admit
( but don't tell my wife ) that having your own .com name has more to do
with ego that practicality.
All the points made about not having to adjust things if you change ISP's
are true, however, if you choose an established ISP, there is little
liklihood of needing to change later.

The costs are minimal, $35 / yr to 'own / rent' the domain name, and the
name should reflect the nature of the business . . . ..   pianoguy.com . . .
..  maybe this is a cooking website??  NOT !

As to the actual business potential, since we are a group of individuals
providing a PERSONAL service, it wouldn't be a wise business decision to
advertise globally, unlike a company who's product one can buy .  over the
net, ie microsoft.com,  . . or have delivered to you  . . ie  sears.com.

I probably have covered the costs of my website over the years, but wouldn't
say I've made big $$$$.

It's more of a hobby for me, and an outlet for my minimal creativity, since
I do website design as well as toon  piana's.

I did manage to sell a S&S player to a guy in Seattle, and made a summer
vacation out of delivering it!!
( made big points with the wife that time )

Jim Kinnear
www.pianoguy.com