Hammer butt under felt question

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:02:21 -0600

Hi Kevin,
              The lower felt is subjected to a lot of stess, particularly
if there is loss motion, for stable regulation we would not want the felt
compressing in a short period of time.
The upper felt is where the jack will frequently frist slap against the
butt on the return, there fore it seems reasonable that the design is more
for noise suppresson.
Just a gut feel guess, not hard and fast wisdom.
At least it gives you some thing to ponder.
Roger

At 06:33 AM 22/03/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Larry,
> Actually the question is why is the felt under the buckskin in two
>pieces
>instead of one. The one directly under the jack is thinner and more
>dense,
>and the piece further up the buckskin is thicker and softer. It's almost
>as if the designers expected the tip of the the jack to get caught by
>the
>thicker felted section after letoff.
>
>Thanks for any info,
>
>Kevin Riggs