BIG FRONT

APS3352@cs.com APS3352@cs.com
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:47:33 EST

In reference to your comments about technician unfriendly piano cabinets I
will certainly agree that progress in that area has been not been what it
might.   Some years  ago I noticed that was having a time lifting some lower
panels safely clear of the front legs before it could begin to slip from my
papery skin grip. On taking a look at the problem I found the following:  1)
Older U-1 had a lower panel made of plywood  weighing about 12#  and came
equipped with a knob for handy index finger-thumb grasp; the same was true
for older Yamaha consoles.  2) Current M-500's and P-22's have a lower panel
made of a particle board type material, weigh in at around 22#,  are
sometimes coated with an ultra slippery compound, have NO assist knob, and
have an edge surface with a roughness about 40 grit should you be unlucky
enough to have it scrape it along another finished surface. I found it
necessary to grasp it at the ends which means a spread eagle crouch. My
solution was to make up a '"knob kit" consisting of plastic knobs sprayed in
about 4 colors to harmonize with the wood finishes.  At Service Bond time or
later I would make a decision about regular future potential and if it looks
likely, the piano gets a knob. I made a real effort to avoid wood butchery in
the materials and technique used.  Each knob is separated from the finished
surface with a nice leather washer and the screw head on the back of the
panel seats on a fender washer.  The whole process is done using a  small
chuck and a hex head screw driver  and my cordless Panasonic screwdriver
which I carry in my tuning kit. It takes about 5 minutes. Once "knobbed" it
is surprising how easily a finger and thumb safely and quickly lifts out a
22# lower panel.
Ken Amend, RPT

3