Need an appraisal on old Steinway

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:10:02 EST

Wim:

It sounds like you have a Model or Style 1 Steinway, I think about 6'8".   My
85 note Style 2 (7'2") is similar in many ways - it's even close in age
(1878).  This piano has a 3/4 plate and a full fit, mortised pinblock with a
spreader which covers a large part of the block.  The rim is not continuous,
but traditional lumber.  I know of several Steinways from this era of design,
from Style 1 (the shortest) to Style 4 (nearly 9').  I only know of one which
has original cabinet features;  all the others have been modernized
(including mine).  Someone posted on the list some time back on one of these
they encountered (a Style 2) which  they considered in pretty good shape,
with good power and ring time.  Apparently this can be quite a piano.

I believe that Steinway can provide you with pictures of this instrument from
the catalogs, if you ask.

The economy should support a higher price then in the past for this model,
and I hope to find out about this myself in the next few months.  If the
modification was done carefully, and the refinished cabinet has integrity,
you might still be able to get a decent price - I would think that if
original cabinet, in excellent restored condition, it should get at least
restored model B prices, and possibly much more, since the original cabinets
were nearly art case.  But modified, probably not more than the B.  It partly
depends on the piano's performance.

This piano reminds me of a Bechstein;  I believe that CF Theodor was a friend
of Bechstein in the 1850's when he lived in Braunschweig, and have wondered
about the influence.

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University, Riverside City College