Interesting H.F.Miller Upright

Fri, 24 Mar 2000 21:23:13 -0800

Gordon,

You are assuming that there was some semblance of reason to the original
scale.  There might not have been.  What you are finding is quite common
when looking at original scales from old pianos.

Quite frequently the original scale was laid out by calculating just a few
notes on the scale.  Typically every A and the end notes of each section.
Sometimes the end notes were left out because it was felt that the bridge
needed to be straight so that it did not 'impede the motion of soundwaves
inside the bridge.'  Hence the extreme length changes across the break.

Actually, very few piano makers even went this far.  For the most part they
would simply copy the basic scaling from some other piano that they heard
and liked.  Sometimes they would copy accurately and sometimes not.  If not,
they would end up with some pretty wild scales.  I used to spend quite a lot
of time trying to figure out what some old designer was up to with some of
these scales when in fact they weren't up to anything.  They had no idea
what they were doing, scaling wise.

About the only thing you can do with some of these old scales is to make
them less bad than they were originally.  Unless, of course, you want to
make new bridges for the piano.  Then you can straighten out at least some
of the worst of the problems.

Regards,

Del
Delwin D Fandrich