Interesting H.F.Miller Upright

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 23:01:27 -0500

Yeah but.

You're not immortal?  Gee, what a bummer, and I thought you were
just visiting here for a couple of hundred years.  So sad.

You are absolutely right, there is a range of tensions suitable for
different sizes and makes of pianos.  Kawais are very high tension,
Knabes tend to be lower, big old uprights can be high but little
consoles are low.  Del is right, you have to get a feel for the
piano, the scale and tension on it and where changes are being
made.  I like to know where the braces are and how heavy the plate
is and how much I can safely change tension.

Del is correct, tension is more important than Inh except across
transition points, bad plate brace changes, middle to bass
sections, etc.  You have to THINK about making changes, understand
why, how and how much before making changes on old stuff that you
cannot go to the dump and get parts for.

You have to have a sense for this, or better have some sense,
something I lack occasionally.

There are no absolutes here except that there are no absolutes.

Have a wonderfully confusing weekend all.

		Newton