Temperature Change affecting pitch

Larry J Messerly prescottpiano@juno.com
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 06:25:17 -0800

Well Ron,
It is dry here.  relative humidity went from 28 to 26% on a Radio Shack
gauge.  Checking this morning total pitch drop is 0.2 and 0.3 cents.  So
it seems like the immediate affect of temperature change is mitigated by
time as the whole structure equalizes temperature.
Larry

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 06:29:26 -0500 Ron Torrella
<rontorrella@worldspy.net> writes:
> What was the relative humidity at 61 degrees? What was it when you
> figured
> the pianos' pitch had stabilized? Raising the room temperature
> probably
> lowered the rh and I'll bet that's what caused the pitch change.
>
> Ron Torrella, RPT
> Ypsi, MI
>
> Larry J Messerly wrote:
>
> > Just for my own information, when I came into my store this
> morning I
> > took pitch readings on two grands at 61degrees F. then turned on
> the
> > heating system and raised the temperature to 68 degrees.
> >
> > The 6' Kranich and Bach dropped pitch 3.2 cents initially and then
> when
> > (I presume) the plate temperature rose, ended up 1.6 cents flat of
> where
> > it had begun the morning.
> >
> > The 5'3" George Steck initially dropped 0.4 cents then continued
> to fall
> > to 1.2 cents from where it had been.
> >
> > They have not changed any more over the last hour.
> >
> > No real problem or question here, just thought it was interesting.
> >
> > Larry Messerly, RPT
> > Phoenix/Prescott

Larry Messerly, RPT
Phoenix/Prescott