No EBVT at Convention

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 21:10:50 -0100

Mr. Bremmer,

I'm sorry I won't have the opportunity both of meeting you and hearing
an example of your temperament at this year's convention. I chose not to
attend the Providence National with similar regret.

I agree that tunings should at least be learned aurally, whichever
choice of focus a tuner decides upon, likewise that an intent should
match a tuning. I do not feel, however, that any one tuning or
temperament can be proposed as superior to others; the temperaments I
perform regularly (though in a limited scope) likewise are met with
controversy that I cannot ignore, yet unlike a Joseph Yasser or Harry
Partch I do not offer them as replacements.

My belief is that HTs not only are a wonderful asset but a necessity in
the performance of their contemporary musics. As historically minded
performers have researched the implementation of more than just notes on
a page, so have a number realized the proper function of tunings to the
works in question. Happily, the harpsichord had a resurgence, upon which
Bach may be heard authentically. Perhaps the Reverse Well Temperament
has its place, too; indeed, it may be as common as you attest (I've also
observed it frequently) - yet, if so, does its incorrectness merit
replacement if music quite likely has been composed with its logic?

This said, the body of common practice works practiced or performed in
nominal 12tET aren't appropriate to this tuning; those that make use of
its features mostly are overlooked and a compromise Well Temperament in
fact may be very appropriate. Yet, less commonplace retunings applied to
older works are far from being stated as definitive.

12tET has had a relatively long history, but hardly in keyboard
instruments. A proposed replacement should not hold any better place in
history, particularly as both knowledge and presets readily are at hand.

Sincerely,

Clark Panaccione
Radical Hardware/ Mi Re Ut