No EBVT at Convention

Ron Torrella rontorrella@worldspy.net
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 22:46:37 -0500

You know, Bill, in all of the time I've known Owen Jorgensen, I've never once
heard anyone sneer or jeer at his invitations to hear a handful of different
temperaments. Nor am I aware of a single instance where he was threatened or
ridiculed. He's never, to my knowledge, accused dissenters of being traitors --
probably because he's disinclined to offend people. I admire Owen's gentle
tenacity. He's brought more than a handful of technicians around to listening,
thoughtfully, to different temperaments.

Barbara Jorgensen told me, several summers ago while I was staying with them up in
the U.P., that she didn't want Owen to "get on the email" because she was afraid
of what it would do to upset their tranquility. She related an occasion when
someone called Owen, very late at night, and proceeded to carry on for a very long
time about HTs. I judge that she was disturbed that someone was so inconsiderate.
Owen, bless his heart, will happily (and calmly) listen to just about anyone who
wants to talk about pianos and tuning for as long as the speaker wishes to talk,
no matter the time of day. He's a gentle soul and truly a gentleman.

I bring this up only to juxtapose you and the person whom, surely, you also
admire.

One more thing; I've heard more than one manufacturer's representative's regard
for Owen. While they may not be able to appreciate the value of an historical
temperament, they always - to a man - spoke very highly of Owen's efforts.

FWIW.

Ron Torrella, RPT
Ypsilanti MI