Hertz and Cents

Larry J Messerly prescottpiano@juno.com
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 22:05:36 -0800

I also thought that someone with more extensive knowledge would answer
this post.  My understanding is that at A440 4 cents is aproximately one
hertz.

Cents is a term refering to measurements between notes.  There are 100
cents between each half-step, 1200 hertz in an octave.  If 4 cents
equalled 1 hertz at A-440 then it would take 8 cents to equal 1 hertz at
A-880. (Unless I have it exactly backwards.)

When I explain to my clients what a cent is I tell them that  it could be
thought of as a percent (I know it isn't really), and that a piano one
half step flat is 100% out of tune.

Larry Messerly, RPT
Phoenix/Prescott