Hertz and Cents

dale r fox foxpiano@juno.com
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 21:01:52 -0800

That is true only in the region of A-440.  That is because a half step in
that area of the scale is about 25hz.  If you travel up the piano an
octave,  a half step will be approximately 50hz.  Ergo,  2 cents per hz.
The frequency of the next half step can be found with the basic formula
of:  Frequency times the 12th root of 2.  (Sorry,  I don't want to get
into the software manual to try to figure out how to show the
mathematical shorthand.)

Dale Fox

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 23:10:20 -0500 "Phil Bondi" <tito@PhilBondi.com>
writes:
> Doug, I'm sure someone will elaborate on my comment - but it is my
> understanding
> that it takes 4 cents to make up 1 hertz.
>
> Rook, who might be in the same dark room.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.