Plastic Mason action parts

William J Schlipf wjstuner@juno.com
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 06:25:12 -0600

Dave,  I've done several consoles, not just M&H, and it's a job! and a
half!  I have gotten my parts from Schaff and have had good luck.  Most
of your time will be spent checking the size of the center pins, reaming
the bushings on the new parts, and regulating the dampers.  The jacks and
the back checks are easy.  Have plenty of center pins, sizes 19 1/2 thru
22.  Parts and shipping will run about $250 and time....... let's see,
about 25 to 35 hours.  Travel paper is also a must.  And a good way to
warp hammer shanks on sight.  There are probably several things I left
out, but you get the idea.  Labor intensive!! without a great piano at
the end.   No, don't send it to me!!!!!  Bill

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 21:30:09 -0600 Dave Doremus
<algiers_piano@bellsouth.net> writes:
> I just looked at a Mason & Hamlin console with plastic jacks, hammer,
> damper and wippen flanges and backchecks (!). Have any of you with
> more
> extensive upright experience than I found acceptable replacement
> parts and,
> if so,  who's got 'em?
> This belongs to a great old boy (80+) who lost his wife last year
> and would
> like to hand her piano on to the musical grandchild. Money is no
> object,
> quality is. All questions of intrinsic value aside, Id really like
> to see
> this thing playing again, it would mean a lot to the owner and aside
> from
> the crumbling plastic is really in quite good condition. Any
> suggestions
> for a good source of well made parts would be a help. Thanks,

Bill Schlipf
Bloomington, IL

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.