Plastic Mason action parts

Tue, 28 Mar 2000 07:04:53 -0800

Now, I've not worked with these action parts for many a year, but...

If the parts you are getting today are anything like the Pratt-Read (now
Pratt-Win) parts of old, you might be able to save a bit of time by
pre-sizing the bushings before you start to pin all that stuff together.

To do this do a quick run through on the hole in the wood tongue to
determine how large the typical pin will have to be to hold firm in the
hole.  This will usually be somewhere between a #20 and a #21 pin.  Don't
worry about the occasional loose one.  You can either size it or fit the pin
separately.

Let's assume you have decided that a #21 pin will work best.  Stick a #20
1/2 pin in each flange and treat the whole set with alcohol & water.  Don't
bother reaming or anything.  Just shove the pin in there -- making sure, of
course, to get them centered accurately in the bushing hole.  Let them dry
for a day or so -- you can speed this up with a heat gun -- and check the
center friction with a #21 pin.  Most will be pretty close, a few will be
loose (save these for those action parts requiring a larger pin) and a few
will be tight.  Put a #21 pin in the tight ones and treat again with alcohol
& water.  Soon you will have a full set of parts you can assemble without
all that reaming and fitting.

Now.  Remember I said I had not done this for quite a while.  Like 20+
years.  So you might want to experiment a bit.  But, if it does work you
will have saved yourself quite a bit of time and frustration.

Regards,

Del