Hertz and Cents

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 08:18:22 -0700

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 22:05:36 -0800 Larry J Messerly
<prescottpiano@juno.com> writes:
> I also thought that someone with more extensive knowledge would
> answer
> this post.  My understanding is that at A440 4 cents is aproximately
> one
> hertz.
*True.

> Cents is a term refering to measurements between notes.  There are
> 100
> cents between each half-step, 1200 hertz in an octave.  If 4 cents
> equalled 1 hertz at A-440 then it would take 8 cents to equal 1
> hertz at
> A-880. (Unless I have it exactly backwards.)
** Nope.  At A-880 it would take aproximately 2 cents to equal 1 Hz.  IOW
everytime you go up an octave a 1 cent change change has 1/2 the effect
on Hz.  And, of course, everytime you go down an octave a 1cent change
has twice the effect on Hz.

John R. Fortiner
Billings, MT.

> When I explain to my clients what a cent is I tell them that  it
> could be
> thought of as a percent (I know it isn't really), and that a piano
> one
> half step flat is 100% out of tune.
>
> Larry Messerly, RPT
> Phoenix/Prescott
>
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 23:10:20 -0500 "Phil Bondi" <tito@PhilBondi.com>
> writes:
> > Doug, I'm sure someone will elaborate on my comment - but it is my
>
> > understanding
> > that it takes 4 cents to make up 1 hertz.
> >
> > Rook, who might be in the same dark room.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.