No EBVT at Convention

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:47:59 EST

Thanks for your reply, Ed,

It was the 1/7 Comma Meantone in Albuquerque to which you objected.  The EBVT
was presented in Milwaukee and it was this tuning where Jim Coleman expressed
interest in how the octaves were tuned.  Virgil Smith liked it too but did
not like the next two that I did which were increasingly stronger.  The EBVT
was repeated in Providence where it ended up being compared in the final
round with Virgil's ET.

This was the event where people were asked which tuning they preferred, thus
becoming a kind of contest.  Owen Jorgensen subsequently admonished us
against further such comparisons because the right kinds of conditions for a
true comparison are difficult to achieve.  There was again a chance to listen
to two forms of ET tuned by Virgil Smith and the EBVT in Chicago, 1999.

I am glad that you are having success with your programs and the CD.  The
criticism here in Madison is that the tunings were so mild and rounded off
that the expressions of tonality were often barely perceived.  One of our
Chapter members, Tim Farley RPT routinely holds concerts at his dealership
where the 1/7 Comma Meantone is used exclusively for whatever music is
played.  Many CDs have been made but they are not being widely marketed.

There has never once been the kind of reaction there was in Albuquerque to
the way any of his pianos have sounded.  The audience and artists accept the
tunings the way they are and a great musical experience is had by all.  While
I enjoy the comments and camaraderie of those who have enjoyed what I have
done at the Conventions, I don't enjoy at all the small but negative side of
it.

As evidenced by the writing now and in the past on this List, it will always
be there.  I have read and heard comments that say your CD sounds out of tune
and while I have found that hard to believe, they were there.  The <<Ed
Foote's Hysterical Temperaments>> listing in the early publications of the
1999 Convention program and the rude rebuttal that I got from the Institute
director were enough for me to decide to attend last year.  The spurning by
the manufacturer's rep is enough for me this time.

I'll be tuning and performing at a 3 day concert event where I won't have any
such concerns.  I doubt that I will attend the next few Conventions either.
I don't see much change happening in the underground negativity that will be
there.  There are quite a few other HT practitioners who don't ever expect
much either.  As far as I am concerned, the good old boys who only want ET
are like the hooligans hanging around on the street corner who will suddenly
appear and bop you one without warning or provocation.  I'll stay on the safe
side of town this year.  I don't want to hear that manufacturer's piano in
ET.  It does not interest me at all.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin