ETD as crutch: grrr

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 14:26:16 EST

Greetings all,
   Today's third tuning was germane to this subject.  I found a nice C3
Yamaha that was 8 cents sharp in the middle, gradually getting sharper and
sharper as one progressed down.  It also got flatter and flatter as I checked
upward from the middle.  The owner, a recently relocated professional from
the West Coast, said that he was unable to play it and it had been like this
since the moment the tuner left.
    The previous work was such a classic case of a straight-line machine,
no-stretch tuning, that the customer was amazed when I opined that the last
tuner had a  two-tone, gray box with a big wheel lit up in the middle of it.
She said, "That's exactly what he had, he was only here for 30 minutes".
   ETD's are great tools, but they will not substitute for skill.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT