Europiano Congress 2000

Sergio Brunello serbrunello@iol.it
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 23:51:47 +0200

Dear list,

I wish to communicate the update of the Europiano Congress web page. Inside
you will find all the information.

See : www.ciresafiemme.it  (link Europiano)

The technical classes are now definitive.

I think we have something really interesting like:
first show of a research over  grand and upright action parts sequence
movements shooting with an high velocity video camera. The results are
really amazing. The research was done from the German piano maker master Mr.
Enzenauer and Mr. Hahn teacher by the Ludwigsburg piano maker school.

Eng. Paolo Fazioli will held class over the soundboard construction
philosophies.

A class over a research regarding  the piano sound generation process
physical characteristic and other aspects held form the University of Padova
Centro di sonologia computazionale.

Mr. Hayashida from Yamaha piano division will held a class over action
construction and function with a large view over other aspect like strings
termination, play technics and touch related to piano sound etc..

Steinway & Sons Hamburg will reports over the Steinway  patent.

Two Italian colleague will held two practical classes. Mr. Salvatore
Malcangi will show the best way to do a conservative repair of damaged
keyboard. Mr. Giovanni Bettin will show a method for optimize the soundboard
downbearing and consequential hammer strike point setting.

Mr. Dietrich Dotzek will held an useful class over Performance improvements
of old grand piano actions.

In the program there are Historical class too.

The concerts program is of top class.

You are all welcome, it should be a pleasure for us to have here some
American colleagues.

           Best regards
Technical committee president
        Sergio Brunello
         Treviso, Italy
     serbrunello@iol.it
infomation
 Europiano2000@ciresafiemme.it

----

----

----

P.S.

Even if some time is past I wish to public thank  Mr. Delwin Fandrich for
the nice words he wrote in reply to my first announce of the Europiano
congress in date 31/01/2000.
Del the people here are still speaking about the fantastic classes you give
. You left a deep sign in our professional knowledge, thank you again from
all us.

Ciao

Del wrote:

 The Conference Sergio speaks of is being held in the Val de Femme in the
Italian Alps. If there is any way you can attend this conference, I would
encourage you to do so. It will be a most memorable experience.
As some of you know, I was invited to speak at the Italian AIARP Conference
in Osimo (a beautiful old city near the central Italian Adriatic coast) this
past September. My wife, Barbara, and I have many fond memories of that
Conference and of the more than one hundred wonderful technicians who
attended the Conference. The Conference itself lasted three and a half days
of straight lecture which, by itself, says something for the stamina of the
Italian piano technician!

After the Conference we were treated to a whirlwind tour of Northern Italy
by Sergio Brunello, courtesy of the AIARP. We visited the incredible
Frasassi Caves in the Marche Province, the Schulze-Pollmann piano factory,
the Fazioli piano factory, the Ciresa soundboard factory in the magnificent
Val di Fiemme and, of course, Venice. All of this was carefully monitored by
frequent phone calls from Luciano del Rio, the AIARP president. (I think all
Italians are issued a cell phone at birth…) Luciano constantly checked on
our progress and made sure we were in good hands. We were. Sergio and his
wife, Paula, were wonderful hosts and Sergio proved to be an excellent tour
guide.

These people were wonderful. We were treated like royalty throughout the
entire trip. The conference was run smoothly and competently which says a
lot for the organizational skills of Luciano del Rio. My class notes were
Emailed to Sergio steadily through the summer. With the help of his crew, he
translated them all into Italian. Translation of the actual classes was done
by Valerio Sabatini of Rome. Valerio and I met for the first time the day
before the lectures began. He had no idea of how I was going to present the
lectures or my manner of speech. He is not a professional translator, he is
a piano technician. However, from the feedback I got from several other
technicians in the audience who also spoke both Italian and English, he did
an excellent job.

We had never been to Italy prior to this trip. Of course, we expected to see
a beautiful country, and we did. We also expected to find great food, and,
again, we did. (How do those Italians manage to stay so slim?) The real
beauty of Italy, however, is to be found in the hearts of its people.
Without exception the people we met in Italy were warm and gracious and it
is they, even more than the beauty of the country, the art or the
architecture, that we will long cherish.

All of this is to say that if you get a chance to make this trip, by all
means do so. Don’t worry if you don’t speak Italian. You will get by just
fine. If words fail you can always talk with your hands—they will think you
are a native Italian! Besides, I understand there will be translators for
the actual classes.

The location of this Conference is in the Val de Fiemme which contains one
of the oldest managed forests in the world today. It was set aside for
continuous, sustainable yield forestry practices in the year 1111 and is now
only one of two European forests to earn awards for its forest management.
This valley is incredibly beautiful and peaceful and would be worth the trip
even without the Europiano Conference. That will just be frosting on the
cake.