pianotech-digest V2000 #296--New Publication, more

JStan40@AOL.COM JStan40@AOL.COM
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 19:48:31 EST

In a message dated 03/29/2000 10:51:58 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-pianotech-digest@ptg.org writes:

<< Subject: Re: pianotech-digest V2000 #292--New Publication

 Stan,

 Silbermann executed his own designs, as well as having used
 Christofori's models as bases. Harding reports the more English mopstick
 tangent was an invention either by Silbermann or Zumpe, and that
 Silbermann also contributed to the Prellmechanik so important to
 Viennese instruments.

 I glanced through Koster's summary of Backer's account of Zumpe, and no
 mention is made of Silbermann. I think the influence of Christofori is
 obvious to any of our historians and to the makers themselves (perhaps
 excepting Schroeter), but Koster's claim suggests Silbermann's only
 reached to the Viennese tradition, which I believe is in error. In fact,
 his proof seems to be speculation based upon a single, and questionable
 suggestion that an early English grand completely was strung in brass in
 the Italian (harpsichord) tradition; if I understand this correctly, it
 is a disappointing conclusion from one whose position should demand
 higher standards in research than someone, such as myself, whose
 interest is relatively new.

 Regards,

 Clark

Clark,

Most interesting, and thank you for taking the time to respond.  More things
to think about, which I greatly appreciate.

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL