pianotech-digest V2000 #292--New Publication

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 00:41:49 -0600

The following is quoted from Alfred Dolge, _Pianos and Their Makers_

   << It seems Silberman came into possession of a Christofori pianoforte,
because the pianofortes built by him for Frederick the Gread, about 1747,
have hammer action{s} exactly like  Christofori's invention.  In
Silbermann's
workshop originated the two schools of piano construciton known as the
"German school" and the "English school."  There is no boubt that Silbermann
used both the Schroter and the Christofori action for his pianofortes.  ....
    Christofori died in 1731.  As far as we can learn he left no pupils,
unless we so consider Silbermann.
    Silbermann's pupils, Johannes Zumpe and Americus Backers, (Becker) went
to London and introduced there a modified Christofori action which later on,
further developed by various makers, became known as the "English" action.
Silberman's most talented pupil, Johann Andreas Stein of Augsburg, however,
took the Schroter design as a basis for his imporvement which is known as
the "Vienna " or "German" action.
    .........the use of the Christofori action in England (as modified by
Backers), having the hammer rise at the end of the key (instead of toward
the center of the key as in the Stein action), >>

Clark mentions  "Koster's sometimes spotty analysis of the Boston MFA
collection"  Which publication are you referring to?  The one I viewed
seemed to contain examples  that BMFA wanted to be presented. It looked
complete and surpurb to me.
---ric