pianotech-digest V2000 #292--New Publication

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 02:58:10 -0600

>, and questionable
> suggestion that an early English grand completely was strung in brass in
> the Italian (harpsichord) tradition; if I understand this correctly, it
> is a disappointing conclusion from one whose position should demand
> higher standards in research than someone, such as myself, whose
> interest is relatively new.
>
> Regards,
>

> Clark

I see no problem that one piano could have been done in the Italian
tradition. Some isntruments are so rare they cannot be given as examples of
mainstream design of their time.  Others must be known to verify that. Also
their rareity might be simply because they were hybreds, or only model ever
made by the maker. Without quoting the author it is difficult to see what
conclusion you are disappointed with.  Or are you saying being strung in
brass is not an indication of Italian tradition? The Italian tradition as
far as the first pianos (1707-1735) seem rest with one man, Christofori.
---ric