Truck-stop coffee goo

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:48:05 +0200

First of all... if you are going to replace the pinblock, then its because
the piano is judged worthy of the expense of doing so. Once you have dug
that deep into a piano its almost meaningless not to renew all the other
points you mention. New pins and strings are a matter of course in such
cases as the increase in cost is almost nothing. Actually it propably is
quicker to restring then to try and save the old strings. Plus you have the
benifit of rescaleing the strings.

There is no point to doing any of this if you are going to put an old
rickety wobbely worn out action back in the piano. That means bringing  the
action back up to at least some basic minimum and should add at least a
reasonably substantial amount to the total cost. The same is of course true
for the dampers, tho it may be that the old damper felt is in good enough
shape to be used. On the other hand the damper assembly should be brought up
to snuff. New centers where needed.. new lifter felt if appropriate.. trap
work etc. Personally I wouldnt hesitate to also change damper felt in such a
case... maybe even the damper wires as well... these should at least be
polished.

Big job. Make sure its worth it. Soundboard ok ??? Bridge ok ??? Plate ok
??? Basic structure good ?? Can you hear through all the worn out parts and
establish that it has reasonably good "Klang" (sound) ?? The only other
consideration is sentimental value which can to some degree compensate for
lackings in these above mentioned points.

My take anyways..grin

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.