No EBVT at Convention

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 05:41:29 EST

Tom writes:
>If I were to encounter a piano that had been just tuned to an historical
> temperment I'm sure I'd think that the piano had been tuned by a novice.

Greetings,
    The impression of which you speak would not be formed solely from the
piano, but also from your background knowledge.  It would form because you
are judging the tuning from one perspective, that of a 20th century, ET,
tuner.  Usually this happens when one checks the thirds chromatically rather
than by the more historically used circle of fifths.

>  Why would anyone want to leave that kind of impression ?
   Nobody would want to leave that impression, but why would a tuner want to
be familiar with only one of the many different ways that pianos have been
tuned?  If judgement is made from a single point perspective, it is often in
error. The only way around this is by knowing more than one way to do
something.
    I had a similar occurrance when a tuner listened to a Young, and
pronounced the piano unfit to play.  It was with great glee that I watched
him listen to Mozart being played on that tuning.  It gradually dawned on him
that what he was calling out of tune sounded better than anything he had ever
heard.
REgards,
Ed Foote RPT