Truck-stop coffee goo

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 07:48:36 -0500

At 01:56 AM 03/30/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi list,
>I came across an old Vose and Sons grand with a saturated pinblock (PBR
>overdose that didn't work? )  It was done with  stuff that looks like
>truck-stop coffee goo, and some of it seeped through to the keys
>underneath, leaving a lovely stain, but apparently not affecting the
>bushings.  Many pins are so loose, (about 20%) that they turn the tuning
>lever, when I let it go, and they span the entire scale. Also there's
>corrosion at the felts under the wires, front and back. Other than that,
>the action seems fine, no obvious repairs needed, just regulation and
>the hammers could be replaced, or filed one more time and voiced. The
>dampers are all doing their job. and the case and soundboard are in good
>shape.
>I'll be checking the pinblock again, this time having the good fortune
>of  another brain being there (Guy Nichols) to see if it's laminants are
>still together. As I understand it,  if the pinblock is trashed, then
>removing all the pins and corroded strings could necessitate a
>restringing job, which also dictates a new damper job. And this points
>towards just doing the whole nine yards, with new hammers, dampers, and
>well shucks, how about refinishing the case and harp. In other words, I
>could job it out to the SAMA plant, leaving the voicing and subsequent
>tunings to me. I'm gathering the options here, to communicate to the
>customer. What can I do on this job as a newbie with a workbench but not
>a rebuilding shop? Opinions?
>
>Thanks, Jill Kennon

Jill,
Your last sentence answered your question. If you don't have a work shop
how can you install a block and spray the plate?

Since you have a workbench you could install new hammers, repin flanges,
rebush the damper guide rail (always with  damper work), install new damper
felt,
regulate the action.  Or just leave it to the 'voicing and subsequent tunings'.

getting the customer to drop big bucks on a V&S is another thing altogether.

Regards,
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net