Jumpy strings?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 19:24:07 EST

In a message dated 3/30/00 6:31:41 PM !!!First Boot!!!, gnewell@EN.COM writes:

<<  Have any of you ever run into jumpy string? I've been tuning a
 Steinway B in a music school for quite a few years now and it's finally
 getting to the point where it's almost impossible to tune.  >>

The string has a notch in it, and the notch is right at the agraff, or V bar.
It is very aggravating. My solution is to pull the notch past the agraff. Do
this by releasing the tension on the left string, and then pulling the right
string up. This will get the notch past the agraff or the v-bar. It won't
take much. If the strings are rusty, I would not do it.

Willem