No EBVT at Convention

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 22:52:17 -0600

Bill Bremmer wrote:

<<To those whose major thrill in life is to try to antagonize me, please
give it up, you know that you are no match for me.  Any contest with me in
trying to prove
who can be the loudest, most vindictive, mocking, mean, nasty, and
outrageous
will leave you being the loser.>>

Yes, yes. If anything has been proved time and again, this is it. But I
still cannot figure out why you want to go down in the history books in this
way. I mean to say, most people do not endeavor to reach the status of
jerkhood. Most people have higher ambitions than that. Why do you think that
you must act this way, Bill?

"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."

<<I get a kick out of playing it and hearing everyone guffaw then watching
their faces when they hear the music.>>

You see, this will convert folks to your way of thinking. The constant
bickering will not, but will turn them away it. Your tunings may attract
folks, but the attitude drives them away. There are many curious out there,
but they must be sweetly led to the "conquest." :-)

<<If you believe that ET is the only way a piano can sound "in tune" then
yes, any HT or modern Cycle of 5ths based tuning like the EBVT will sound
incorrect to you.>>

As others have said already, we are where we are in musical development,
according to the practices that have been long-standing. As Rome was not
built in a day, so musical tastes and standards will not be changed
overnight. 'Twould be better for you to accept that temperament standards
will not be changed radically, as you hope. They will be changed, but it
will be gradual. We must accept that fact when considering HT acceptability.

<<It's not that ET and standard practice sound bad.  It is that reaching
back to the way keyboards were tuned in the past can offer compromises that
are indeed much more musically appropriate.>>

I congratulate you on this excellent choice of words here. If you would do
this in all your posts, and drop the negativity, you would eventually change
the minds of many.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS