Extreme humidity

Kristinn Leifsson istuner@islandia.is
Fri, 01 Sep 2000 09:56:08 +0000

Dearest Terry and list

No, it was just like the Amazon in there, and the only other instances I´ve
encountered this are in such humid conditions, well, and in Rippen pianos.
Although the pitch was in A 440, if taken out of these surroundings, the
piano would sink down in pitch like a parachuteless elephant, due to
excessive humidity contents (trying to be scientific here) of the sound
board resulting in decreased lateral pressure (right?) on the strings via
le bridge.
So, would this therefore be natural?
Do you not tell customers that even if the piano only needs one tuning,
that the environment it´s in is "unnatural" for a piano and should at best
be altered, even if the involved changes would result in the inclusion of
another round of tuning in a certain period of time?

And what if it had roaches, Terry ?

Regards,

Kristinn Leifsson,
Reykjavík, Iceland

P.S. Roaches are not really a part of our fauna, although those critters
can survive anything
(see http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_025.html for scientific
analysis on roach survivability in extreme radiation)