False Beats ??

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 01 Sep 2000 20:14:54 -0500

>One other question Ron... God I hope I havent already asked this one...
>
>What difference does the type of metal the bridge pin is made out of have in
>relation to all this.. Hard vs soft... stiff vs flexible.. etc.. any
thoughts ?

Hmmm, don't remember if you ever did or not. I've got my own problems.
Who'd you say you were again? <G> I really don't have a clue about the
bridge pin material. It seems to me that someone posted that some
manufacturers used brass to try to minimize the effect, but I've found
plenty of loose pin caused false beats in brass pinned pianos, so I have my
doubts that it works all that well. In any case, there are a limited number
of options available from supply houses and, since I haven't had any
identifiable problems with what I'm using, I haven't done any
experimentation on different materials. Perhaps Del has turned up something
informative on this. I think the bridge pin is loose and simply flagpoling
with the string vibration. A drop of CA around the pin stops the beat as
effectively as a screwdriver blade, thumbnail, pencil eraser, or just about
anything else you can use to damp the pin movement. Since that drop of CA
isn't all that massy, I'd tend to discount the soundboard impedance
explanation. It seems to me to be tied in with downbearing angle and either
string length or frequency. It mostly seems to happen higher up the scale
where (perhaps?) the flagpoling frequency of the loose pin is a relatively
close multiple of the string frequency.

I don't have the final answers here, but for me, this seems to most
logically fit my observations and spot experiments. Tomorrow may be another
story.

Ron N